151219 A series of warm ups by Danny M. O’Dell MA., CSCS
Warm up: do this series or something similar before each session of training.
Prior to beginning an upper or lower body training session do a series of dynamic resistance stretches along these lines:
- Cardiovascular for one to five minutes-skip rope, ride a bike, or jog in place.
- Alternate arm raises upward and forward
- Alternate arm rotations
- Alternate straight-arm raises to the rear with a spring in the backward motion.
- Alternately and at the same time raise the arms to the rear with the elbows bent and then extend them energetically straight out to the front
- Limb rotations-move all of your limbs around in giant circles to loosen them up.
Shoulder series-do each one 15-20 times
- Wide clockwise circles with outstretched arms
- Wide counter clockwise circles with outstretched arms
- Arms straight to the sides with palms facing the body moving out front and back over head without bending them
- Arms bent at 90° and then extended rapidly to the front and back to the 90° starting position
- Leg swings fore and aft, side to side fifteen to twenty
- Rapid split squats
- Good mornings fifteen to twenty
- Body weight squats-fifteen to twenty